Install Microsoft SQL 2019 for PDM Professional
If SOLIDWORKS PDM is installed on the system, use ‘Uninstall a Program’ in the Control Panel to uninstall the Microsoft SQL Server Backward Compatibility packages from prior versions of SQL before starting the SQL Server 2019 installation.
Microsoft .Net framework version 4.5 (or later) and Windows Installer 4.5 (or later) are required. If they are not installed, the Installation Wizard installs them before starting the SQL Server 2019 installation. If you are prompted to restart the server, please do so, prior to continuing the installation.
Installation of SQL Server 2019
1. Locate the downloaded SQL Server installation media iso image in Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click > Mount the iso image.
3. From the root folder, Right-click Setup.exe > Run as Administrator.
4. The Installation Wizard runs the SQL Server Installation Center. To verify that all requirements are met prior to starting the installation, select Planning > System Configuration Checker. Then select Show Details to expand the results.
Note: Should any of the items not pass this check, the issue will need to be corrected prior to continuing the installation.
5. Click OK
6. To create a new installation of SQL Server, select Installation in the left navigation area, and then select New SQL Server standalone installation or add features to an existing installation.
7. On the Product Key page, select the option Enter the Product Key and input the Product Key provided by your Microsoft vendor, and then select Next.
8. On the License Terms page, review the license agreement. If you agree, select the I accept the license terms and privacy statement checkbox and then select Next.
9. The Microsoft Update page will appear next if the Microsoft Update checkbox in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Windows Update > Change settings isn’t selected. Selecting the Microsoft Update checkbox changes the computer settings to include the latest updates for all Microsoft products when you scan for Windows updates. Select ‘Use Microsoft Update to check for updates’, then select Next.
10. On the Product Updates page, the latest available SQL Server product updates are displayed. If no product updates are discovered, Setup doesn’t display this page and automatically advances to the Install Setup Files page that provides the progress of downloading, extracting, and installing the Setup files. If an update for Setup is found and you specify to include it, that update will also be installed. If no update is found, Setup will automatically advance.
11. On the Install Rules page, Setup checks for potential problems that might occur while running Setup. If failures occur, select an item in the Status column for more information. Otherwise, select Next.
Note: Windows Firewall may show as a Warning if it is turned on for the server. If this occurs, please reference the Windows Firewall Exception Setup article in our SOLIDWORKS KB to open port exceptions for Microsoft SQL, SOLIDWORKS PDM and SOLIDWORKS SNL.
13. On the Instance Configuration page, accept the default Instance ID name and select Next.
Advanced Configuration Note (optional): If you desire to use Named Instances for SQL Server, then type SWPDM, as the instance name.
14. Use the Server Configuration – Service Accounts page, set the Startup Type to Automatic for all services, then select Next.
Since we are specifying nondefault installation directories, ensure that the installation folders are unique to this instance of SQL Server. None of the directories in this dialog box should be shared with directories from other instances of SQL Server.
18. On the Database Engine Configuration – MaxDOP tab, specify your max degree of parallelism. The recommended value is automatically calculated during the installation.
19. On the Database Engine Configuration – Memory tab, Select the Recommended option.
Note: Optimum Memory size is calculated by subtracting 1 Gb for each 4 Gb of RAM up to 16 Gb, then 1 Gb for each 8 Gb thereafter.
20. Select Next to continue.
21. To continue, select Install.
22. On the Complete page verify that all Features were installed Successfully, then select Close.